Grand Canadian Challenge
I have a weakness for alcohol – it renders me susceptible to over-zealous persuasions. Which is how, when I met up with my friend Corrie, I ended up pledging my participation to a list of challenges she’s dared me to accomplish. Needless to say, I’ve diligently scrutinised this ‘list’ and scheming to put a tick next to every item – including the ones where I’ll be playing benefactor to Corrie’s being the recipient of Canadian goodies.
And I’m hoping these won’t be the only challenges I am to be tasked with completing: I hereby welcome you all to submit your shares of Canada to-do’s throughout the Grand Canadian Hitchhike and I’ll endeavour to, well, do as I’m told. Please submit your dares to email@example.com or by jotting it down in the comment box below.
So without further ado, the Grand Canadian Challenge.
Grand Canadian Hitchhike Challenge
- If I can’t complete an objective, find something of equal value to replace it;
- I can use [Corrie] as an excuse to complete these (ie “can I have your autograph for my friend?”);
- Photographic and/or anecdotal evidence required for each objective completed; bonus points for each thing you try in which you manage to blag yourself free stuff by using your blog.
- Photograph yourself with the Canadian flag next to a sign in each of the main towns listed (can be a miniature);
- Photograph of yourself with a Mountie;
- Bring Corrie some Canadian Maple Syrup;
- Photograph of your face every day of the challenge, a la Noah;
- Get an autograph from every person who gives you a lift. Ask for a photo and record one interesting fact about them;
- Climb a mountain;
- Catch and eat your own fish;
- Try out the local brew in every place you visit;
- Teach as many people as you can about the legend of St George and the Dragon;
- Find out Canadian stereotypes. Ask as many Canadians as you can if they conform to these stereotypes;
- Find out as many local myths and legends as you can – at least ten; record them all;
- Try out three adventure sports – preferred would be white-water rafting, ice-skating (with hockey) and a hot-air balloon ride;
- Press a wild-flower and bring it back;
- Find out about traditional Canadian crafts; bonus points: try out a traditional Canadian craft and make a souvenir to bring back;
- Try each of the following: Ginger beef, Canadian Baked Beans, Jiggs Dinner, Pierogis, Bumbleberry Pie, Butter Tarts, Nabob Coffee, Poutin, Donair, Chinese Smorgasbord, Lumberjack’s Breakfast and Shish Taouk.
- Go star-gazing at the Gordon MacMillan Southam Observatory;
- Go to the movies at the Paramount Theatre;
- Call up the BC Film Commission Line (604-660-3569), find out what films are being filmed in Vancouver, go and look around for a bit; bonus points: get an autograph from a famous person.
- Do a Self Guided Brew Tour; bonus points: blag yourself a free drink in each of the pubs using the blog;
- Go fossil-hunting in the Painted Bluffs Provincial Park; bonus points: bring a fossil back for Corrie.
- Catch an event at the Calgary Stampede;
- Go to a hockey game; bonus points: try out hockey;
- Go to a Secret Street Drag Race.
- Go to a curling game; bonus points: Try out curling;
- Go to the WYNZ Niteclub on a theme night.
- Go to the Saskatchewan Science Centre.
- Find some buskers; get them to perform something for The Travelling Editor – record it and post it on your website; bonus points: get them to improvise a song about you.
- Visit the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden.
- Go for a tour of the Agate Mine; bonus points: bring back a souvenir.
- Go to a Bank Street pub.
- Go on a Ghost Walk; bonus points: do it while drunk.
Pre: Dressing The Hitchhiker
Next: The Gesture Of Kindness